Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Food Grows?

In this day of fast food, frozen dinners and pre-prepared boxes of what looks like food, I often wonder if kids know that food really does grow!

I also wonder how many more veggies they would be willing to eat if they could taste them fresh from the garden! There is just no comparison between food that has traveled a great distance...being artificially induced to ripen...and then stored for an unknown amount of days or weeks. 

I can't keep my kiddo out of the garden, she thinks it is her own personal pantry...and it is. My goal with this blog and my classes at our business site is to share the joy that growing food brings. I am especially interested in sharing how perennial crops can provide a great variety of foods with very little effort. 

My garden and forest of food are growing each year. I don't have the ability to plant it all at once, but one tree, one shrub, and even one new annual bed at a time, the garden is growing. Just look at how much space I added this year...


This photo was taken early spring 2016...can't wait
to show you what it looks like now!
...You can see just how much has been added if you look back at this post. That bed at the far end of the garden is the one from last year. Everything else is new this year. 

I will be sharing in future posts how I used each one of these areas to grow food and medicinal herbs. Here is a hint...lots of cardboard and grass clippings from the yard...as well as a few less common items.

For now, enjoy a bit of time outside, and go grow some food! Have a wonderful, magical day!


 Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment